Beauty radiates from the inside out, giving an insight into your health and well-being. A healthy lifestyle supports optimal blood circulation, appropriate body weight and muscle tone, and abundant energy. Here are five of the most effective habits you can integrate into your routine to maximize your attractiveness and catapult yourself to healthier heights:
1. Replace acidifying, toxic foods that wreak havoc on your skin, hair and body with a nutrient-dense, whole food, plant-based diet, which improves skin tone and clarity, helps maintain optimal body weight, and promotes shiny, thick hair.
Simply eat less:
- Processed foods
- Animal products
- Artificial sweeteners/flavors/colors
And eat more:
- Raw and cooked vegetables (especially leafy green vegetables, like spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli, bok choy, and chard)
- Whole grains (try to include super-grains like quinoa, buckwheat, and wild rice)
- Legumes (all varieties of beans, lentils, and peas)
- Nuts and seeds (emphasize flax seeds, hemp seeds – or hemp oil – walnuts, and almonds)
2. Exercise at least five times per week. Two of my favorite adages are that “you will rust out before you wear out” and “use it or lose it.” Among the infinite advantages of working out regularly include promoting full-body circulation, enhancing detoxification, and stimulating muscle and bone growth. Each exercise opportunity need not be formal and you can mix it up throughout the day. Three 10-minute segments are equivalent to one 30-minute bout. Pick any type of exercise that you enjoy. The only rules are that you mix it up regularly and that you just plain do it…
3. Eat at least 3 servings of carotenoid-rich fruits and vegetables every day to boost skin glow and help protect against acne, scarring, and aging. These include leafy green vegetables, and vegetables and fruits with red/orange/yellow flesh (i.e. carrots, sweet potato, squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cantaloupe). One serving equals 1/2 cup raw or 1 cup cooked.
4. Slough and slather your skin. The skin is your largest organ and its job is to protect your body by keeping foreign invaders out. Keep your skin happy and healthy by improving circulation with regular body brushing and moisturizing. Begin with a large, soft body brush and gently brush your entire body from your toes to your nose with circular and/or long strokes, aimed towards the heart. This removes dead skin and stimulates circulation. Do this before you hit the shower or bath and you will notice a comfortable tingle and rosy glow. Follow your wash with a chemical-free body lotion that can include a few drops of your favorite essential oil (lavender to relax, tea tree oil to boost immunity, or citrus to improve mood).
Choose products that include minimum chemicals, especially: parabens, phthalates, PEG, petroleum, triclosan, fragrances, artificial colors, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, sodium methyl sulfate, preservatives, and silicone. There are now multiple brands on the market that are free from these toxic ingredients and, instead, are made with essential oils and other natural products. You can even make your own products using simple household ingredients like:
5. Eliminate chemicals from your beauty care products.
- Coconut oil and sugar body scrub
- Rosemary oil and almond oil hair conditioner
- Green tea facial toner
- Tea tree oil blemish buster
- Beet juice and olive oil lip stain
- Olive oil with lavender, rose petal, or mint leaf body lotion