While it’s not uncommon to experience dryness, or itchy and flaky skin during winter, it’s a little unnerving if you have to deal with it, all-year-round.
Unnatural and excessive dryness means the problem is more than just skin deep. Here are some tips to resolve the problem:
- Hydrate: Particularly in the colder months, you may not feel as inclined to sip on some water. But, make note that when the temperatures drop and the air cools down, the humidity levels drop, too. The water in your skin evaporates more quickly; this makes it feel dry and tight. Apart from lapping up on the moisturizer, feed that dehydrated skin with a good dose of water every day.
- Cold Showers Are The Way To Go: While hot water is a great way to relax, it really dries out your skin by sapping the moisture from your pores.
- Exfoliate: For those with unnaturally dry skin, it is important to induce the cell renewal process and not let flaky residue or dead skin build up. Use a scrub for the face and loofah to get rid of the patches on the body before you moisturize.
- Eat Right: Make sure you eat foods that are high in antioxidants, vitamins, and omega 3 fatty acids since these will help nourish and protect your skin from the inside—think fish, nuts, yogurt, and the likes.
- Migrate To Essential Oils: Giving up your products in favor of beauty oils like almond oil, argan oil, borage oil, olive oil or grapeseed oil might be the best decision you make. They’re all-natural, have healing properties, are medicinal in nature, and come packed with nourishing and hydrating components that get easily absorbed by the skin.