3 mins read
Astrology – Origin, Benefits, Efficacy, Methodology, And Precautions
The premise of astrology is that the fate of a human is determined by the position of the stars at the time of his or her birth. Basically, this concept is an expression of the belief that the achievements of a person are determined by his or her constitution and by the events that occur during his or her life.1
What Is Astrology? Where Did It Originate?
Medical astrology is based on the belief that the possible course of a disease can be charted by knowing the position of the stars at the time of the beginning of the disease.
- However, astrology was not recognized as a valid medical body of knowledge until long after the time of Hippocrates.
- In the 2nd century A.D., Galen mentions that in Rome, only the wealthy people used astrologers exclusively for having their fortunes told. This comment suggests that poorer people visited an astrologer when they fell sick because they could not afford the hefty fees of a doctor.
- In the early 4th century A.D., medical texts began to describe astrological beliefs.1
Despite this, astrology was condemned by the early Church and the Roman magistrates. Gradually, by the 6th century A.D., the archbishop Isidore of Seville began to encourage the study of astrology by physicians.1
After the end of the Dark Ages in Europe, the practice of medical astrology began to gain force due to 2 reasons:
- Printing made the dissemination of astrological texts and sidereal tables faster and easier.
- Clocks allowed astrologers to determine the position of the stars at a given time more accurately.1
How Is Astrology Beneficial?
Medical astrology can be used to determine health trends and behavioral patterns.
- As the planets move through the skies, a medical astrologer can determine when the disease pattern will reactivate.2
Studies/Research On The Efficacy Of Astrology
How Is Astrology Performed?
Practitioners of medical astrology believe that any problem can be solved by fixing the position of the planets at a given time.
- More information is gleaned from a study of the patient’s urine.
- It was believed that different signs of the Zodiac had influence over different parts of the body.
- A knowledge of these Zodiac signs helped determine the correct time to give the patient medicine, to conduct surgery, or to let blood.1
Some practitioners may cast a figure for the decumbiture, which is based on the time at which the patient fell ill.1
Using this information, along with the patient’s case history and uroscopy results, the practitioner provides a diagnosis, prognosis, and a prescription.1
How Can People Get Started With Astrology?
Practitioners of medical astrology consider 3 main factors when performing their art:
- The 12 signs of the Zodiac (which moves round the ecliptic in an annual cycle)
- The 7 planets (5 visible planets +sun +moon)
- The 12 Houses of Heaven (which split an east-west vertical circle into 12 equal parts)
Each sign of the Zodiac, each planet, and each House of Heaven influences a particular part of the body, the 4 humors of Hippocrates, the hours and days of the week, and certain plants and metals.1
Any Precautions, Contraindications, Or Interactions
There are no known side effects of medical astrology.
1. Hare EH. Medical astrology and its relation to modern psychiatry. Proc R Soc Med. 1977 Feb;70(2):105-10. PubMed PMID: 323862; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1542973.
2. Mann A.T. Astrology and the Art of Healing. Cosimo, Inc.; 2004. 293p.