Yoga is not just a great workout, it's a life-changing mental, physical and spiritual practice. For many, a consistent yoga practice is part of a health and wellness routine that keeps them feeling grounded, stress free and fit. While you may think of yoga as a way to a killer core, or a well-toned back, it can be so much more than that.
A yogi's lifestyle includes breath exercises (pranayamas), purification exercises (kriyas), meditation, and so much more.
Benefits Of Yoga
A good yoga routine offers:
- Peace of mind
- An ability to relax and center oneself
- Reduced risk of injury and sprains
- Greater flexibility
- Increased core strength
- Improved posture
- Better sleep
The following tips will help you get the most from your yoga practice:
- Do find a great yoga instructor. While instructional videos and online resources can be a great supplement to one’s yoga practice, a good yoga teacher will ensure you build healthy habits that are safe for your physical health and wellness.
- Do research the different styles of yoga (ashtanga, hatha, iyengar, kundalini, etc) and pick one that fits your needs and goals.
- Do wear loose, comfortable clothes.
- Do pay close attention to your body as you perform yoga poses. Notice your breath, your heartbeat and your muscles. Yoga is a practice of awareness.
Ensure that your practice is healthy and hazard-free by following these guidelines:
- Don’t overexert yourself.
- Don’t eat before your yoga practice.
- Don’t compare yourself with others in the class—your yoga practice belongs to you and you only.
- Don’t give up if it seems hard at first. Your body probably won’t be used to some of the positions you’re being introduced to. Just be patient and take your time.
- Don’t practice the poses before you know what you are doing. Improper practice can lead to strain or injury.
One Step Further
Once you’ve found a class you like, stick with it. You’ll soon discover that the rewards of a dedicated yoga practice go far beyond that of the average workout. Don't be surprised if your weekly yoga class leads you to connect to a larger yoga community and a new healthy lifestyle.
Want to jumpstart your yoga pratice? Check out Namaste Yoga on Z Living, WEEKDAYS 7AM. Tune in live or set your DVR for an inspiring daily yoga practice for all levels.
Check Out Other Great Yoga Articles at Z Living: