Here’s some good news — weights and other equipment are not mandatory for building muscles.
While dumbbells and other weights come with a lot of health benefits, if you’re looking for a quick workout to do at home or don’t feel using any equipment while you exercise, there are plenty of workouts that can still get you closer towards your muscle building goals.
Along with exercise, a healthy diet is one of the most important aspects to maintain when it comes to achieving your fitness goals. Whole eggs and other foods that are rich in protein are usually recommended for individuals who seek to build muscle and to aid the recovery process during rest days.
Build Muscle without Using Weights
Muscle Building Exercises
The following three exercises are simple yet effective when it comes to building muscle. Push yourself to the limit and allow yourself to sweat as you get through this exercise.
- Start in a standing position with your feet hip-width shoulder distance apart and your hands placed on your hips or brought together across the chest. Make sure your toes are facing forward.
- Bend your knees and lower down as far as you can go and make sure you don’t start to lean forward as you squat.
- Push your legs back up to a standing position to complete one rep.
- Perform this exercise for at least 30 – 45 seconds and try to lower yourself as much as you can each time.
Push-ups are a full-body exercise that targets your shoulders, arms, core, and legs to promote strength and build muscle.
- Start in a high plank position with your shoulders stacked above your wrists, palms facing down, and your feet and wrists hip-width distance apart. You have the option to place your hands wider than hip-width distance apart to perform a wide-arm push-up.
- Bend your elbows and lower your body towards the ground and push back up to the plank position. This is one rep.
- You have the option to come on down to your knees, however, try to perform a full body push-up as you practice this exercise.
- Perform push-ups for about 30 seconds.
Feel your legs burn with this challenging exercise that puts your lower body to work. Lunges are a simple yet efficient way to promote muscle building and tone your legs in the process.
- Stand with your right leg in front and your left leg back and lower your hips until both your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. Make sure that your front knee does not extend over your ankle, and your left knee should hover off the ground.
- Shifting your weight and keeping them in your heels, push back up to starting position.
- Perform lunges on the left side for 20 seconds and switch to the opposite leg to even out the sides. Make sure to perform the exercise for the same amount of time as you did on the starting leg.
Diet Tips to Keep In Mind
Diet and exercise go hand-in-hand when it comes to building muscles and staying in shape. Following a diet designed for your fitness goals is imperative in order for your muscles to strengthen and grow.
- Eat healthy foods and consume more calories than your body needs.
- Increase your protein intake. Proteins break down into amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscles. They are especially helpful in regenerating the cells in the body and promote muscle building.
- Healthy foods that are high in calories include avocados, nuts, peanut butter, fruits, and salads with dressing.
- Increase your carb intake to up your energy levels and increase your performance during workouts. Carbs are also high in calories and will give you the much-needed calorie boost you need to promote muscle building.
1. How can you build muscle without weights?
Maintaining a healthy diet and performing the right exercises can promote muscle building.