That uncomfortable feeling of your tummy being full many hours after your meal is never any fun. Whether you ate a little too much at dinner or you’re starting to realize that a certain type of food may not be right for you, your ultimate goal is to reduce that bloating sensation ASAP.
Bloating does not last forever, and a little yoga can go a long way in helping your belly de-bloat and feel much better.
Top Yoga Poses to Reduce Bloating
The following 4 yoga poses can be effective in reducing bloat and getting your digestive function back up and running:
1. Supine Twist
Supine twists are excellent to relieve you from bloating symptoms as this pose works to increase blood flow and promote digestion:
- Start by lying on your back with your legs and arms extended on the ground.
- Keeping your left leg straight and extended, bring your right knee towards your chest and use your hands to bring it towards your right armpit.
- Slowly move your right knee towards the left, away from the right hip and extend both arms out horizontally.
- Shift your neck and gaze towards the left side of the room, or up towards the ceiling.
- Hold this pose for 10 seconds and focus on your breathing.
- Bring your knees back to the center and extend them to switch to the left side to even out the sides.
2. Cat-Cow Pose
The cat-cow pose works your core and helps to stretch the abdomen to help you find relief from bloating.
- Start by coming down on your hands and knees with your shoulders stacked over your wrists and your knees directly under your hips.
- As you exhale, press your palms on the mat, drop your head and belly towards the floor and as you round your spine, create a dome with your upper back to get into cat pose.
- As you inhale, gently lift your head and torso towards the ceiling and arch your back to get into cow pose.
- Comfortably keep switching between cat and cow pose and focus on your breath. You have the option to add in a few stretches to open up the muscles.
3. Child’s Pose
A great pose to induce relaxation, child’s pose can help you stretch and relax when dealing with symptoms of bloating.
- Start by sitting on your knees with your legs hip-width distance apart and your arms stretched out towards the front of the mat.
- Slowly lean forward towards the mat and press your palms firmly on the mat for an added stretch.
- Once in this position, gently touch your forehead to the floor or as close to the floor as you comfortably can.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
4. Wind-Relieving Pose
Find relief from symptoms of bloat such as gas and abdominal pains with the wind-relieving pose.
- Lie on your mat with your back flat and your knees bent into your chest.
- Wrap your hands around the knees and hug them towards your chest as tightly as possible.
- Rock your body from side-to-side to massage the back and abdominal organs. This helps to boost digestive function and kick-start the process to help you feel better.
- Hold this position for a few minutes.
- Slowly unwrap your hands and move your knees away from the stomach to bring the feet back on to the mat.
- Pause for a few seconds and repeat this pose at least 3 more times.
1. What are some of the top yoga poses to reduce bloat?
As mentioned above, some of the best yoga poses to reduce bloat include the cat-cow pose, wind-relieving pose, and child’s pose.
The content of this Website is for is for informational purposes only, is general in nature and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and does not constitute professional advice. The information on this Website should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment. You should consult with your physician before beginning any exercise, weight loss, or health care program and/or any of the beauty treatments.
Health. (2018). http://www.health.com. [online] Available at: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20737691,00.html [Accessed 29 May 2018].
Prevention. (2018). 6 Best Yoga Poses To Do If You’re Bloated. [online] Available at: https://www.prevention.com/fitness/g20498359/yoga-poses-to-debloat/ [Accessed 29 May 2018].
Fuhr, L. (2018). Debloat With Yoga: 4 Poses to Help. [online] POPSUGAR Fitness. Available at: https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Debloating-Yoga-Poses-30797559 [Accessed 29 May 2018].