Yes, she's bagged the Grammy Award for her hit single, Royals, but when it comes to her eating habits, Lorde is much like the teens in the country today. The New Zealand-based singer recently told a magazine that she ends up skipping meals because she forgets to eat. In fact, she likes having her mum around, because she reminds her to eat dinner. According to a recent American Psychological Association study of more than 1,000 teens, 23 percent admitted to skipping meals. Stress, boredom, or a shot at weight loss, no matter what your reason, there's nothing good that will come out of it. You will be surprised to know what your body actually goes through, when you skip meals. Hunger pangs, fatigue and mood swings are in order, but here's a closer look at the repercussions:
- The food you eat breaks up in two parts; one is fats, that get stored in the body if not used, and the other is sugar, that enters your blood stream and fuels your system.
- When you skip a meal, there's a dip in your blood sugar levels that not only causes you to slow down, but also messes with your insulin levels. This makes you feel unwell and drained out.
- If you continue doing so on a regular basis, it could set you up for the development of diabetes, later in life.
- Additionally, when you deprive your body of calories for long, your system shifts into starvation mode and instead of burning fat, it begins to store it in order to conserve energy. Now were sure you wouldn't want that, would you?
- Plus your metabolism slows down dramatically, so when you eat your next meal, it doesn't burn off calories as efficiently.
- Lack of nutrients affects your cortisol levels and mood. This makes you feel foggy and irritated all day. Have you noticed yourself being moody lately?
- And finally when you break your fast and eat, there's a possibility you might not be able to judge your hunger, and end up overeating.
There you have it; skipping meals could slow down your metabolism, store more fat and cause you to overeat. And lets not forget the mood swings and energy loss that you have to put up with. If you want to lose weight, eat healthier meals through the day. Ensure you get a good dose of nutrients, proteins, healthy carbs and monounsaturated fats. Team that with a good workout, and you will see better and faster results, without having to starve.