Underneath your clothes is a very different story. Free from Spanx and shapewear, even the most flattering bra can leave you with an unsightly bulge if you’re top heavy. The elastic kneading into your skin is to blame; that and the excess fat in the area. Before you decide to throw out those form-fitting tops, we urge you to try these simple moves to get rid of the excess upper back fat and smooth out the spillage. In fact, they’re perfect for those lazy days when you don’t want to get out of bed. Stay put and stretch, that’s all you really need.
The Cobra Pose
This yoga asana can be done, as soon as you wake up (if you please), and you should try and go for 10-15 reps to start off.
- Lie on your stomach, keep your chin out and neck relaxed.
- Place your hands underneath your shoulders and close to your chest. Take your elbows in, so that they are touching the sides of your rib cage. Keep your legs together, feet flat on the bed.
- Now, contract your lower body from the glutes, all the way down to your toes.
- Inhale, look up towards the ceiling and lift your upper body by using the strength of your lower back. Come up until your belly button is off the floor, and make sure your chest is lifted.
- Push your shoulders down, opening up the chest and collar bone. Hold for five breaths.
- Gently relax the upper body and bring your arms by your sides to exit the pose.
You could follow up the cobra pose with this exercise, or do it later. The idea is to stay on your bed in the same position (face down), and inhale and lift your arms and legs off the bed. Start swimming, or simply put, mimic the motion and move your limbs up and down, much like you would to stay afloat in a pool. This may look silly and have you laughing for the first few times, but the move really targets all the back muscles to trim the fat. 10-15 reps should be fine.
This one requires you to sit up straight. For the Pilates move, bring your arms up to the shoulder level, inhale, and then twist the torso to one side. Exhale as you twist to the other side. That’s one rep. You could consider doing 10, easily.
While the above are workouts for those lazy days when you don’t want to get a move on, slightly more intense exercises to target the bra bulge by lengthening the upper body include face pulls for your traps, the wide-grip lat pull-down for your back, and of course, the good old pull-ups for some definition.