While we totally loved the battle ropes and kangoo jumps workout, a hot contender for pole position among the trendiest exercise programs is the Pound workout that taps into your drummer and rock-star instincts.
The full-body cardio routine uses weighted ripstix (quarter pound each) to rev up your heart rate and tone the muscles, while giving you a 900 calorie burn within 60 minutes. It is an amalgamation of traditional and functional exercises, Pilates, isometric movements, and plyometrics, that are composed into one intense fat-blasting session which is set to chart busters to give you a sense of rhythm and count.
Here are some of the perks to the workout:
- Your current fitness levels are irrelevant.
- You needn't be musically inclined.
- The workout engages the same muscles, but in very different ways.
- It amps up the intensity of conventional squats, bends, and similar moves by demanding more rigorous contortions.
- The group workout promotes social engagement and aims tokeep you fit under the clever guise of entertainment.
On that note, the workout can seamlessly be transitioned into your living room, so long as you have the ripstix and DVD, or you can live stream a session on YouTube. Available across multiple gyms in America, mainly those that offer HIIT programs, here's an alternative to those who find it hard to keep up with quintessential dance workouts jazzercise, zumba, belly dancing, salsa for the Pound workout has little to do with the moves, and more to do with the groove. The hardest part is to keep up with the pace; the rest are just traditionalexercises that a regular gym-goer would already be familiar with.