Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie celebrated the seventh birthday of their twins Vivienne and Knox on Sunday in a surprisinglynormal way, with a visit to the local Subway outlet, where they picked up sandwiches before fueling up for a session of ice-skating at the Iceland Ice Skating Center in LA's Van Nuys neighborhood. Sources claim they enjoyed Chicken Teriyaki and Meatball sandwiches, chock full of energy and muscle-building protein.Portable and quick to prepare, sandwiches are a great way to sneak veggies into your kids diet. Use fresh veggies and lean meats, and you have a healthy, no-fuss meal at hand.Here are just some of the reasons they are a practical and easy option:
To prepare a simple, tasty sandwich, keep in mind these six tips:
- They can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for later as a real time-saver.
- Or you could even keep all the ingredients ready for your child to build their own sandwich when theyre hungry and ready to eat something healthy instead of reaching for sodium-rich chips or junk food.
- At a get together, you can make a variety of sandwiches to suit different dietary requirements such as vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free and even gluten-free.
- They make superb school lunches if wrapped in some cling film, aluminum foil or wax paper.
Image Source: ShutterstockHead to our Food section
for healthy recipes and thelatest food trends.Quick and easy Nutrition
- Ingredients that will make the sandwich soggy should be added last or packed and carried separately until ready to eat. These include vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots or beetroot as well as mayo, any dressing or sauce, even mustard and ketchup.
- Choose good bread that is sturdy and preferably multi-grain. These will up the health quotient of the sandwich and are tastier than plain old sliced white bread.
- Play with the ingredients by layering them well so every bite is full of flavor, spreading the pesto, sauce or dressing evenly and ensuring that you have a nice combination of textures such as crunchy, soft and gooey.
- Each element will bring its own flavor to the party so ensure that the protein and vegetable are lightly seasoned and dont clash with the dressing or sauce. Dont just stop at mayo or mustard when there is a world of brilliant options out there; experiment with vinegars, hot sauces, spices, chutneys and salsas.
- When using protein like cold cuts, dont leave them the sandwiches out too long or wait a long time to eat them or they will start to spoil.
- Toasting or grilling a sandwich can take it to new taste heights but do so only if youre going to feast on it right away. Similarly, avoid using hot meats in your sandwiches unless it will be consumed immediately or you will have one soggy sandwich on your hands.