The festivities are at an all-time high, and whether you like it or not, there’s going to be a fair amount of alcohol involved. Partying the night away can be a blast but that awful hangover the next morning or the muffled scream as you step on your scales, are both avoidable.
Here’s 3 simple steps to achieve that:
- Drink healthy, lighter cocktails.
- Alternate a glass of still or sparkling water with every alcoholic drink you imbibe.
- Eat light snacks before, during and after your drinking session to avoid acidity, help ease the process of alcohol absorption into your bloodstream, and prevent a spike and subsequent crash in your blood sugar levels.
Since drinks at most venues will be overpriced and you have little control over how calorie-rich they are, why not just indulge in some pre-gaming? Invite your friends over and get the party started with home-made drinks before you step out to bring in the New Year. You can either ask everyone to BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle) for a boozy potluck or serve up your own creations.
Healthy cocktails are not an oxymoron. If you want to drink but keep an eye on your calorie count, here’s 7 easy suggestions:
- There’s always our favorite go-to drink, wine, which happens to be delicious and healthy. Although it’s good for your heart, don’t overdo it.
- Try these tasty but uber light skinny cocktails, all of which are less than 150 calories. Seriously.
- Stick to a specific drink type, like margaritas, for example. They’re deadly thanks to their tequila content, but if you avoid mixing them with other spirits and drink in moderation, you should be okay.
- Put a spin on things and serve up some funky tea cocktails. These are fully natural, go well with almost all liquors and spirits including vodka, rum and gin, and have heaps of flavor. Thanks to their extremely low calorie content, you can throw back more than just one.
- If you prefer to stick to the tried and tested, though, here’s how you can have your cocktail and drink it too: just make a skinny version of a daiquiri, pina colada or a margarita with these skinny cocktail recipes.
- If everyone’s feeling a bit nibbly, don’t worry, just combine food and booze with these sexy oyster shooters. A couple of these will go down smoothly and balance out the drinking.
- Or you could just use unusual and edible garnishes that can be munched on even as you sip, such as this crazy invention called a meat straw.
PS: Head to our Food section for healthy recipes and the latest food trends.
Quick and easy Nutrition tips here.