We bring you a recipe for a delicious, alcohol-free mojito, courtesy of Eco Vegan Gal.
This is by far one of the most interesting things I've made, but it is quite refreshing and very filling. I didn't want to scare you with the title, but it's actually watermelon rind juice blended with fresh mint, lime and dates. Sounds kinda gross but I'm obsessed with it, and it's a great way to use the whole watermelon. I don't know about you, but I've been OBSESSED with watermelon and since I eat it practically every day (yup) my compost was overflowing with rind until I stumbled upon this recipe. Plus, it has all sorts of nutrients like vitamin C, lycopene and antioxidants. So, head to the store, buy yourself a watermelon, bliss out while eating the inside, and then top it all off by breaking out your juicer to make this satisfying drink!”
This recipe was adapted from one on Clear Waters Wellness
Servings: about 16 oz
Raw and Sugar-free Watermelon Virgin Mojito Recipe
- Watermelon rind from 1 whole mini watermelon
- Fresh mint leaves (4-6 or to taste)
- Date - 1
- Lime - 1/4
- Optional: ice
- Wash and scrub the watermelon well - it is important to use an organic one since you'll be juicing the whole melon.
- Slice the watermelon and enjoy the "flesh" (there's gotta be a better word for that...).
- Slice the rind into strips, the width of which depend on your juicer.
- Juice the watermelon rind (if you only have a blender you can chop the longer strips into smaller chunks and blend well).
- Add juice, mint leaves, lime juice, pitted date (and ice if using) to blender and blend until smooth and frothy.
- Optional: filter the juice through a sieve, nut milk bag or coffee filter.
- Serve as is, chilled or with ice.
Here's a video if you'd like to watch it being made: