These Italian sub roll-ups are your keto-friendly solution to your sandwich dilemma. Just because you can’t enjoy your favorite sandwich bread doesn’t mean you can’t have a tasty sub for lunch.
To make this Italian sub roll-ups recipe, you can use a combination of your favorite deli meats to create a low-carb, keto-approved lunch. In this recipe, we used salami, bologna, and soppressata. Another delicious option would be to use mortadella instead of bologna if your deli carries it.
For the cheese aspect of our sub, we used a dairy-free option, but you can use something like swiss cheese or provolone cheese for similar results. You’ll just want to use a cheese that’s relatively soft and can be sliced and layered the way it’s been done here.
The filling for these Italian sub roll-ups is where you can also customize your “sandwich” by choosing any Italian ingredients you like. We used pepperoncini, but you could also add in black olives or tomatoes. We think the pepperoncini and shredded lettuce work well in this sub because they stay put fairly well, making the meat easy to roll up and easy to eat.
The best part of this recipe is that there’s really no cooking involved, making it very convenient to make, no matter what your skills are in the kitchen. You can also make these Italian sub roll-ups ahead of time. Simply prep the roll-ups the evening before work, pack them inside a food storage container, and take them to the office for an easy keto lunch.
These Italian sub roll-ups would also go really well with a dipping sauce like olive oil and vinegar, or a keto-friendly Italian dressing.
Italian Sub Roll-Ups Recipe
- 3 slices bologna
- 3 slices Genoa salami
- 3 slices soppressata
- 3 slices dairy-free cheese (or Provolone, Swiss)
- About 1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Shredded lettuce
- 3 tbsp pepperoncini
- Place the bologna slices on your cutting board or work surface. Overlap the slices with a slice of salami, and then a slice of soppressata.
- Drizzle about 1/2 a tablespoon of mayonnaise over each pile of sandwich meat.
- Place the cheese over the bottom half of the layered sandwich meat.
- Add the shredded lettuce and pepperoncini to the top half of the cheese (so the center of the meat layers).
- Grab the bottom edge of the cheese-covered soppressata and begin rolling it in towards the top edge of the bologna. Pin the roll-up closed with a toothpick.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from ourpaleolife.com