A restaurant favorite, teriyaki chicken is traditionally a sweet and salty dish made up of sticky, glazed chicken over a bed of white rice. The dish stems from Japanese cuisine, although you can find it at all sorts of restaurants due to its popularity.
While teriyaki chicken is delicious, it’s doesn’t tend to the be the healthiest entrée to enjoy. Most restaurants make teriyaki chicken with lots of refined sugar, which doesn’t make it a very health-conscious meal.
This homemade teriyaki chicken recipe is made healthier with minimal sugar, recommending a mix of coconut sugar and honey over white sugar. You still get that sweet flavor with the chicken, but it’s not as high-sugar as the restaurant version.
You can serve this teriyaki chicken over a bed of fluffy rice and any veggies that you like. We love eating it with brown rice, steamed broccoli, and toasted sesame seeds on top.
Best of all, this teriyaki chicken recipe is really easy to whip up. There are about 10 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes of cook time in this recipe, making this a dinner you can whip up in no time!
Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 lb. raw boneless chicken breast, cut up into small pieces
- vegetable oil, for the pan
- toasted sesame seeds (to garnish)
- green onion, sliced (to garnish)
- instant brown rice and steamed veggies, to serve with
- Lightly coat a large pan with some vegetable oil. Set the pan over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium. Carefully add the chicken to the pan and cook each side until nicely seared – about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the soy sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, honey, garlic powder, ginger, and cornstarch in a separate bowl. Whisk everything until combined and smooth.
- Pour the sauce ingredients into the pan of cooked chicken and toss together to combine.
- To serve, scoop instant brown rice into 4 separate bowls, adding steamed veggies and teriyaki chicken on top. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions (optional).
Recipe adapted from WithSaltandWit.com