On a cold winter day, there’s nothing better than kicking back with a hot, soothing beverage. We pick five drinks that will keep you healthy and cozy all winter long.
1. Cranberry Ginger Mulled Wine
Wine mulled with some fresh cranberries and ginger is one of the most comforting things you can have in winter. This low-carb and gluten-free drink is very easy to make and serves as a powerful antioxidant.
- Combine 1 ½ cups cranberry juice with 2 cinnamon sticks and a 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root thinly sliced in a saucepan.
- Mix ½ cup sugar in it.
- Simmer it gently over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of dry red wine.
- Let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cranberries and lemon.
2. Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate
Give your traditional hot chocolate a twist with some Mexican spices like cayenne and cinnamon which are high in vitamin A and great for blood circulation.
- Mix 4 cups milk, ¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon chili powder and a pinch of nutmeg and cayenne.
- Heat it over medium heat, stirring frequently, till combined.
- Serve with chocolate shavings or marshmallows.
3. Creamy Eggnog
Fond of this Christmas favorite? Make eggnog super-fast with our five-minute recipe. You’ll also have improved immunity against winter diseases with cinnamon and a healthy heart with brandy.
- Take 1 cup milk, 1 large egg, ½ teaspoon vanilla, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg in a saucepan and add 1 teaspoon sugar to it.
- Mix it using a blender on low speed for one minute.
- With the motor running, gradually add ¾ cups brandy until it’s foamy. You can substitute brandy with spiced rum, too.
- Pour in tall glasses and sprinkle with nutmeg.
4. Masala Chai Latte
This soothing tea is a celebration of Balinese spices and comes with a range of Ayurvedic benefits such as improved digestion and a boost in metabolism.
- Pour ¾ cup water in a pan and simmer over medium heat.
- Put grated fennel seeds, cloves and cardamom to the simmering water.
- Add ½ teaspoon pepper and 1 cinnamon stick.
- Stir in 1 ½ teaspoons tea leaves on low heat.
- Put in ¾ cup milk and blend it thoroughly.
- You can add 1-2 tablespoon of honey to give it a light and sweet taste.
5. Hot Buttered Lemonade
This rich yet light lemon drink is easy to make and great for all ages. It will cleanse your system and is sure to boost your mood.
- Mix 3 juiced lemons with 3 cups of water.
- Add ½ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon butter to it.
- Heat the mixture over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- You can also add ¼ cup light rum for a more complex taste.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon on top.
Keep warm this winter with these power-packed drinks that combine health with taste.