‘Functional foods’ is a growing trend that’s been making news in the wellness community. This category includes foods, beverages and supplements that are enriched or enhanced with specific ingredients to increase their nutritional value. They’re gaining immense popularity among the health-conscious consumers, as they promote better health, and prevent diseases. Stock up on these functional foods:
1. Broth: One of the biggest health trends of the year, broth is high in minerals and vitamins. Bone broth can improve gut health, can aid joint health, reduce cellulite, and can boost your immune system.
2. Kombucha: This is another trendy health drink with multiple benefits. It helps in the detoxification of the body, protects the pancreas and the liver, prevents arthritic pain, and improves digestion.
3. Fermented Vegetables: People have long used fermented vegetables in their diet but it’s not until recent times that this has emerged as a health food. Fermented veggies like sauerkraut can aid in mineral absorption, and produce nutrients like B vitamins and vitamin K2 and D, that boost bone health.
4. Electrolyte-Enhanced Water: Drinking such water prevents dehydration, and maintains the pH level in your blood. This keeps your energy level up, and boosts overall health.
5. Calcium-Fortified Orange Juice: This makes for an excellent non-dairy alternative to get calcium. Having 8oz of the juice provides for 35 percent of the daily calcium requirement.