Traditionally prepared spaghetti and meatballs sure makes for comfort food, but it’s also a calorie nightmare. Right from the high amount of carbs present in the spaghetti to the fat in the meatballs, there’s little to add to its healthy value. But you can fix that, here’s how:
- Halve your carb intake by replacing the spaghetti with sweet potato or zucchini ribbons made with an ordinary vegetable peeler, or a spiralizer. These have to be blanched in boiling salted water, and drained.
- For the meatballs, using ground turkey instead of beef means you will be eating two-thirds less saturated fat (without losing out on the iron).
- Replace the breadcrumbs in the meatball mixture with cooked farro, and season with turmeric and oregano besides the usual salt and pepper.
- Instead of whole eggs, use only egg whites to bind the meatball mixture.
- Instead of frying the meatballs, bake them on parchment paper for around 30 minutes or till golden brown.
- Use half the amount of cheese you originally would.
Healthy Twists To Your Favorite Pasta Recipes
Zucchini Spaghetti With Bolognese Sauce