Eating fruits is a convenient and delicious way to fill your daily diet with essential nutrients for optimum health. Some fruits work better than the others; here’s a list:
- Berries: Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and cranberries, there’s a treasure of health in the berry world. They are a rich source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that shield the body against various problems like cold and flu, high blood pressure, arthritis, osteoporosis, heart stroke and cancer. The plant chemical anthocyanin, which gives the fruit its rich color, helps maintain the immune functioning that drops with aging. Try this Honey & Berries Smoothie recipe.
- Avocado: Vitamins A, C and E in avocado play a significant role in strengthening the immune system by controlling blood sugar levels, soothing inflammation and replenishing cell growth. This nutty-flavored fruit also contains carotenoids, the antioxidants which promote easy metabolizing of food, aiding better absorption of nutrients by the body. Enjoy this Avocado Veggie Wrap.
- Lemon: This citrus fruit is a natural cleanser. Its antiseptic and anti-fungal properties kill germs and help in detoxifying the body of waste and toxins. Loaded with the benefits of vitamin C, lemon stimulates the production of gastric fluids, which aids better digestion. It has also proven to slow the growth of cancer cells. Try Lemon Berry Tarts.
- Apples: Apples are high in the soluble fiber pectin, which helps in eliminating toxins and heavy metals from the body. The plant chemicals in this fruit play a major role in maintaining blood sugar and healthy cholesterol levels. In addition, it balances the bacteria in our digestive tract, which not only soothes digestion but also helps in cleansing the colon. Prepare Baked Apples Stuffed With Walnuts & Raisins for the kids.
- Orange: Loaded with vitamin C, orange protects the cells in the body by neutralizing free radicals which can otherwise damage the tissues and lead to chronic conditions such as cancer and heart disease. Oranges also contain beta sitosterol, a plant compound that maintains healthy cholesterol levels and is known to hamper tumor growth. Have a fresh orange as is, or try these refreshing Blueberry-Orange Popsicles.