Games Of Thrones’ sinister queen Cersei Lannister enjoys her red wine, and so should you. The potent drink gets its red color from the anthocyanin pigments present in the skin of the dark-colored grapes it’s made of. It has long been appreciated for its different varieties and exhilarating flavors.
Red wine sure enjoys a list of health benefits that come from its constituent antioxidants, but too much of anything can’t do you any good. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons:
- Cardiovascular Health: Resveratrol, the key antioxidant in red wine is known to reduce bad cholesterol and prevent the damage to blood vessels, while also reducing the risk of blood clots.
- Longevity: Resveratrol is also found to release an enzyme that slows aging and extends the average human lifespan by seven to 10 years.
- Anti-Cancer: Resveratrol is also said to fight certain cancer-causing agents.
- Sun Protection: Red wine is rich in flavonoids, compounds which protect you from the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays.
- Weight Gain: Red wine is high in calories, packing in 125 calories per 5 ounce glass. A couple of glasses down, and you’ve set back 500 calories before you know it!
- Aggravates Menstrual Irritation: It increases blood sugar levels, which can worsen cramps, bloating, mood swings, and can cause headaches, fatigue and anxiety.
- Tooth Stains: It contains tartaric acid and tannic acid, which could affect the tooth enamel and cause staining.