This star-shaped fruit is more than just pretty-looking. Let’s take a look at some of its common uses:
- Flavor Elevator: Star anise has a lovely, sharp aroma and a licorice-like flavor. It is extensively used in Asian cooking to add a flavorful dimension to broth, rice and noodles.
- Healthy Digestion: The fruit, often used as a spice, is said to be useful in digestion. It’s believed to help with digestive disorders like gas, loss of appetite, and an achy tummy.
- Natural Relaxant: The strong aroma of star anise has a calming effect that relaxes the senses. Use it in your dinner recipes to soothe your senses, before going to bed. The fragrance is used in soaps, creams and perfumes too. However, be sure not to take high doses of this sedative, as it can have repercussions, especially in the case of children.
- Improves Immunity: It is a good source of shikimic acid, a plant-based compound which, when paired with a plant pigment quercetin, may protect the body against viral infections.
- Sex Drive: Star anise is useful in enhancing one’s sex drive. It contains the B group of vitamins such as riboflavin and thiamin, which provide energy.
Go ahead, use star anise as a flavoring agent in sauces and bakes goods, or simply enjoy its aroma. Try these Z Living Recipes: