Chef Jeff Henderson of Z Living's show Flip My Food is our go-to guy for delicious recipes "flipped" into healthier versions.
And with sweet potatoes and squash now in season, we whipped up Chef Jeff's Sweet Potato Acorn Squash Soup for a tasting. We loved it!
Acorn squash has a uniquely sweet, nutty, almost peppery flavor that is perfect for a fall meal. The carotenes in winter squash play a crucial role in helping your body produce vitamin A.
Chef Jeff pairs this healthy ingredient with sweet potato, which is also an excellent source of carotenes, as well as Vitamins C and B6. In addition, sweet potatoes contain unique root storage proteins, which have unique antioxidant properties that are great for your health.
Watch Chef Jeff prepare this soup in the clip below! And we suggest pairing this delicious, healthy soup with Chef Jeff's beet salad!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups acorn squash, seeded, cubed, and blanched
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red pears
- 2 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, cubed and blanched
- 1 bundle of sage, thyme and cinnamon and onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil-butter blend
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Dash cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg
- In a pot, add chicken stock, acorn squash, sweet potato, red pear and herb bundle, and bring to a simmer
- In a skillet, melt olive oil-butter blend
- Add bacon and onion to skillet
- Add garlic to skillet
- Add cooked acorn squash, pear and potato to skillet, along with half of the cooking liquid
- Using a hand blender, emulsify the ingredients
- Stir in almond milk
- Stir in maple syrup
- Add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg and serve
Also on Z Living:
WATCH on Z Living: Flip My Food, where each week charismatic celebrity chef Jeff Henderson takes on a different city and a different food challenge to transform beloved recipes into healthy new dishes. See a sneak peek here.