While more and more people are boycotting dairy-based products, yogurt still continues to remain a favorite, with several brands attempting to bring out healthy and natural alternatives in the market. If you're a fan of the popular yogurt, you've possibly tried all the options at your disposal. Which brings us to a rather nutty dairy alternative, one that is turning out to be super popular—coconut yogurt.
Now, while it's easier to just go right ahead and buy yogurt, you're probably better off making it, considering you know exactly what you're putting into it. And if you are a DIY junkie, you could try your hand at coconut yogurt. After all, this does guarantee freshness, and gives you the freedom to experiment with flavor and sweetness!
For those looking to try out new food tricks in your bowl of yogurt (yes, we did just say that!), here are two quick and easy dairy-free alternatives to that much-loved bowl of yogurt. You can thank us later!
Flavored Dairy-Free Coconut Yogurt:
- 1 coconut
- Any natural sweetener, such as honey or maple syrup
- 6 tbsp plain kombucha
For the flavor, you can choose one or more options as per your choice.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh peaches
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ lemon zest
To make the yogurt, start with the following steps:
- Make sure to drain out all water from the coconut.
- Next, use a spoon or knife to get the meat out. The meat should fill up a cup. Use another coconut if you feel the amount is less.
- Add the coconut meat in the blender, along with the kombucha and blend to a smooth consistency.
For the flavor options, you can mix and match different options, or prepare individual batches with separate flavors.
Thick & Creamy Dairy-Free Coconut Yogurt:
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 2 tsp agar agar flakes
- 4 probiotic capsules
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- Pour the coconut milk in a pan and whisk it to a smooth consistency.
- Sprinkle a tsp of agar agar flakes in the coconut milk but do not stir it yet. The agar agar flakes will act as a thickening agent.
- Place the pan on medium heat and let the milk simmer. As the agar agar starts to melt, whisk the milk slowly and reduce the heat.
- Cook for another ten minutes till the agar agar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let it cool from hot to warm.
- Open the capsules and add the powdery substance inside to the milk. Stir it again.
- Next, add the sugar and mix well.
- Pour the yogurt in a glass jar and place it in a warm oven. Let it set for about 24 hours.
- Once done, let it set in the fridge for about 6 to 8 hours.
- You may notice two different layers in the yogurt at this point, just give it a stir to mix again.