Preparation Time: 4 hours or overnight for soaking the peas, 10 minutes for chopping
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Drain black-eyed peas and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high flame in a large pan. Add onion, garlic, thyme, allspice, oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook about 2 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add water and peas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until peas are nearly tender (about 25 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and add rice, coconut milk and habanero (if using). Simmer covered for 20 minutes more stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and allow rice to steam in pot, lid on, for 5 to 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.