is a seasoned chef (and heartthrob
) who offers meal prep tips that will change a dieter's downfall dish into a healthy, low-fat, still tasty alternative on Now Eat This!.
His smart trick? Swapping out fatty, carb-laden ingredients for healthy alternatives to create nutritious meals that don’t compromise taste.
Now Eat This!
emphasizes that maintaining your health and eating right are "not just one time meal substitutes, but an overall lifestyle change."
Try These Three Healthy Food Swaps From Now Eat This!
1. Swap Regular Rice Or Noodles For "Miracle Noodles"
One of DiSpirito's all-time favorite food swaps are shirataki miracle noodles
. And who wouldn’t
be a fan of a gluten-free, vegan, zero-calorie, and zero-carb noodle alternative?! Shirataki noodles are made from konnayuku,
a Japanese yam. The noodles come in many different shapes and sizes, from thin angel hair pasta, flat thick fettuccini, and short grain rice. The meal at right is a low-calorie vegetarian risotto made with Shirataki rice, for a family with diabetes struggling to keep their blood sugar levels from spiking
. Kale also helps keep glycemic levels low because it contains zero fat and is high in fiber and iron.
2. Substitute Sliced Eggplants For Chicken Parmigiano
For a lower-calorie, vegetarian twist on classic chicken parmigiano, substitute breaded chicken parmigiano for sliced eggplants.
DiSpirito recommends slicing eggplants and then salting them to get rid of excess liquids and the vegetable's slightly bitter taste. Then, add in the vegetable anywhere the recipe calls for chicken, before layering in a low-fat marinara sauce and mozzarella. Eggplant is not only a great source of fiber and B vitamins, but also of nausnin
. Nausnin is an antioxidant, and is considered a brain food because it protects the lipids or fats in brain cell membranes.
3. Swap White Flour Pasta For Whole Wheat Pasta & Heavy Cream-Based Sauces For Greek Yogurt
- Love pasta dishes, but hate the high calories and fat that often come with 'em? Make any pasta recipe healthier with Chef DiSpirito's suggestions: Substitute whole wheat pasta for white flour pasta as a way to introduce more complex carbohydrates into your diet.
- Substitute greek yogurt, for heavy cream, as a way to get more protein and probotics into your diet. In any recipe you use, mix the sauce and yogurt slowly, so the heat from the sauce does not curdle the yogurt.
Even if you don’t cut meat out entirely taking steps to reduce your meat consumption can offer great health benefits. People who consume less meat are able to find it easier to manage their weight. Eating less meat also means less toxins from steroids and antibiotics from livestock in your system. Vegetarian diets also greatly reduce several types of cancers and heart disease.
Tune in to Now Eat This!
for more healthy eats and inspiration! Here's where to watch
WATCH on Z Living: Now Eat This!
where chef Rocco DiSpirito challenges people to eat healthy by arming them with nutritious recipes and ingredients and giving instruction on proper ways to prepare the meals. See a sneak peek here