With increasing pressure in both our personal and professional lives, many of us find ourselves struggling with anxiety and depression.
As anxiety is a normal response of the body to increased stress levels, it would be unrealistic to hope for a life with no anxiety at all. Left unchecked, however, anxiety can lead to all sorts of disorders, including symptoms like palpitations, chest pains, tension, irritability, headaches and sleep disturbances.
In one of the latest episodes of What Happens Next?, host Dr Keller Wortham highlights the various ways in which anxiety affects us and how we can deal with it naturally.
Anxiety is a natural response produced by the body under stressful situations. When we’re under stress:
- Our amygdala, an almond-shaped organ in the brain that decides what’s dangerous, sends signals throughout the body to fight or flee.
- Our sympathetic nervous system responds by dilating our pupils, making our mouths dry, increasing our heartbeats, and causing us to sweat.
- When the brain reacts this way (to seemingly non-threatening situations), it’s called a panic attack. If the effects persist, it’s called anxiety.
Tips To Manage Anxiety
While many turn to prescription meds to manage their anxiety and panic attacks, they have a host of side effects. However, there are several natural ways you can fend off those blues. Here’s what you can try:
- 5 Herbal Teas To Overcome Anxiety
- Relieve It With A Herb: Valerian Root For Anxiety
- Relaxation Techniques For Anxiety
For more information on maintaining good health, check out the latest episodes of What Happens Next? on Z Living or watch it online here.
5 Tips To Deal With Everyday Anxiety
3 Breathing Exercises To Calm A Panic Attack
Why Essential Oils Can Help With Anxiety