Being the most-studied ginseng due to the amazing health benefits that it provides, Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng) is often called ‘true ginseng’.
Ginsenosides, the main active compound present in Korean ginseng, has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anticancer effects.(1) It also improves immunity, reduces mental stress and conditions associated with diabetes (erectile dysfunction and control blood sugar levels).(2,3)
Korean Ginseng For Erectile Dysfunction
A study found Korean ginseng to be a widely available and safe alternative remedy that improves a patient’s ability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for intercourse. Researchers found it to be a reasonable, nonprescription treatment, especially for men with reservations about taking sildenafil (Viagra).(4)
A study done with 45 patients having erectile dysfunction found that the use of Korean ginseng had improved sexual desire, erectile function and intercourse satisfaction.(5)
How To Take It
1. Drink it as a tea twice daily to obtain relief. Here’s how you can prepare panax ginseng tea.
2. You can also take Korean ginseng supplements twice daily. Buy it here.
1. World Health Organization. WHO monographs on selected medicinal plants. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1999.
2. Mahady GB, Gyllenhall C, Fong HH, Farnsworth NR. Ginsengs: a review of safety and efficacy. Nutr Clin Care. 2000;3:90–101.
3. Vogler BK, Pittler MH, Ernst E. The efficacy of ginseng. A systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1999;55:567–75.
4. Price A, Gazewood J. Korean red ginseng effective for treatment of erectile dysfunction. J Fam Pract. 2003 Jan;52(1):20-1. PubMed PMID: 12540305.
5. Hong B, Ji YH, Hong JH, Nam KY, Ahn TY. A double-blind crossover study evaluating the efficacy of korean red ginseng in patients with erectile dysfunction: a preliminary report. J Urol. 2002;168:2070–3.