Treating a toddler’s sunburn can get tricky as children have sensitive skin. However, there are several natural coolants and antiseptics that can provide relief in minutes. Here are some all-natural home remedies to ease your baby’s sunburn.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
One of the safest home remedies to treat a sunburn and calm irritated skin is aloe vera gel. Its cooling properties are known to soothe wounds, cuts and blemishes.
- Apply a generous amount of aloe vera gel on the affected area, using a gauze. Be careful not to rub it vigorously as it may cause the skin to get inflamed. Leave it on overnight.
2. Vitamin E
Studies show that applying a common vitamin E supplement (tocopherol acetate) to the skin immediately after exposure lessens the sun damage.
- Use a vitamin E-based baby cream and apply it to the affected area two to three times a day.
- Another method is to break open vitamin E capsules and apply them directly to the area. However, consult your doctor before you do this.
Besides, being a cheap and nutritious anytime snack, yogurt makes an excellent sunburn remedy. Plain yogurt contains an abundance of probiotics and enzymes that can heal the skin. A natural coolant, it absorbs the heat from the affected area and speeds up the healing process.
- Take a generous amount of cold yogurt and apply directly on the affected skin. Let it dry completely and wash off with tepid water.
A cucumber’s antioxidant and analgesic properties promote healing and provide relief from irritation.
- Slice a chilled cucumber and place them on the sunburn. You can also rub them over gently.
- Alternatively, chill 1 or 2 cucumbers and toss them in a blender to create a paste. Add a teaspoon of aloe gel for better results and apply directly on the sunburn.