9 Health Benefits Of Hemp Oil That You Should Know About
4 mins read
Hemp oil is an aliment obtained by pressing the raw seeds of the hemp plant, scientifically called Cannabis Sativa.
Hemp seeds are rich in protein, polyunsaturated fatty acids, omega 6, omega 3 and insoluble fiber. They are a good source of tocopherols, or Vitamin E antioxidants. They are packed with minerals such as potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, phosphorus and microelements such as strontium, thorium, arsenic and chromium.
High in essential fatty acids, Omega 6 and omega 3, hemp oil can be used to increase immunity, counteract aging skin and improve cardiovascular health. Several studies show that the linoleic acid present in hemp oil can slow down the aging process and fight psoriasis. Here are some of its significant health benefits:
- Maintains Hormonal Balance: Hemp is the only edible seed that contains gamma-linolenic acid, which is eventually converted to the protective hormone prostaglandin PGE1 that regulates the hormonal balance and supports menopausal health.
- Regenerates & Energizes The Skin’s Protective Layer: Due to its high content of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, hemp oil has a composition similar to skin lipids, which makes it an excellent natural emollient and moisturizer. It is especially useful for dry, tired or dehydrated skin and nails. It increases the skin elasticity and water retention capacity in tissues. Pure hemp oil can be used to treat dry hair and is often included in hair conditioners.
- Great For Vegetarians: Getting the right balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can be tricky for vegetarians and vegans. Hemp oil has the optimal ratio of these acids.
- Lowers Cholesterol: The only vegetable oil to contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids (3:1), hemp oil can help lower cholesterol levels by accelerating metabolic processes. With a faster metabolism, fats burn at a quicker rate and are not deposited on the artery walls. Want to reduce your cholesterol levels naturally? Here’s how you can do it.
- Good For Diabetes: Due to its low carbohydrate and sugar content, hemp oil is excellent for diabetics. The nutrients present in it can help moderate blood sugar levels. You can also control your diabetes with these eight tips.
- Prevents Psoriasis: Research says that psoriasis is caused by a deficiency of omega-6 fatty acids in the body. The fatty acids present in hemp oil help improve skin oxygenation and hydration.
- Boosts Immunity: Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids also improve immunity and regulate intestinal flora, thus building a natural barrier against microbes and increasing the resilience of the body. Want to keep your immune system in top health? Follow this simple guide.
- Demyelination Of Nervous System: Essential fatty acids are necessary for a healthy cell membrane structure. They also prevent the demyelination, the destruction of the myelin sheath (a membrane that protects the nerve cells).
- Prevents Varicose Veins: Like other compounds high in omega-3s, hemp oil can thin your blood, reducing blood clots and varicose veins. (Related Video: How To Treat & Prevent Varicose Veins Naturally)
Precautions To Keep In Mind
Though it has a number of health benefits, hemp oil should be avoided by prostate cancer patients or people who take blood thinners. Here are a few precautions you should keep in mind before using it:
- An Anticoagulant: Hemp oil can have an anti-clotting effect on the blood and people who suffer from heart diseases and take blood thinners should avoid it. Did you know of these four natural anticoagulants?
- Increases Prostate Cancer Risk: Hemp oil creates the best conditions for the cells to regenerate, which could promote the growth of tumors, particularly prostate cancer cells. While more research is needed, medical professionals advise that you avoid consuming hemp oil if you are at an increased risk of prostate cancer.
- Can Cause Diarrhea & Abdominal Cramps: High doses of hemp oil can cause nausea, diarrhea and/or abdominal cramps. For this reason, hemp oil should be kept out of reach of children.
- Should Not Be Heated: High temperatures can denature the unsaturated fats of hemp oil and turn them into saturated fats.
You May Also Enjoy
Moderate consumption of red wine improves memory, boosts your immunity and reduces the risk of osteoporosis and more >>
More From Z Living Staff
WHAT'S ON TV
The Lisa Oz Show
05 : 00PM
The Lisa Oz Show
05 : 30PM
Nirmala's Spice World
06 : 00PM
Peggy K's Kitchen Cures
06 : 30PM