The next time you pick up a shimmering shade at the nail salon, consider this: there’s a possibility that the sparkle comes from crushed beetles. Yes, bugs! Some nail care brands even use pigments from fish scales. (If you’re interested, read PETA’s list of animal ingredients commonly found in products.) Luckily, there’s a world of vegan nail polishes that provide style without sacrifice. Here are some of our favorites.
- SpaRitual Shel Pink launched SpaRitual in 2004, creating a line of eco-friendly spa scrubs, lip gloss, soy candles and more. Each company product is made with the enlightened consumer in mind – certified organic and fair trade ingredients, earth-conscientious packaging and formulations free of synthetic dyes. Void of harmful chemicals like DBP, Formaldehyde and Toluene, SpaRitual’s line of vegan nail polish has an expansive palette of more than 80 shades. The latest collection, Meditate, is infused with ECOCERT-certified bamboo for stronger nails.
- Scotch Naturals After creating a line of safe nail polishes for children called Hopscotch Kids, founder Ginny Cardenas answered the demand for eco-friendly adult polishes with Scotch Naturals. A non-toxic alternative to conventional solvent-based nail polish, Scotch Naturals’ collection is hypoallergenic, 100 percent biodegradable, vegan and cruelty-free. Products are also free of toxins and chemicals, so you won’t find formaldehyde, toluene, butyl or ethyl acetates on the ingredients list. Hues are fun and vibrant, like regal shimmering violet, gravelly gray crème and passionate teal green, to name a few.
- Zoya Originally a classical pianist in Russia, Zoya Reyzis started Art of Beauty – a small nail salon – in 1986 with her husband Michael. The business eventually grew into a spa focusing on nails, skin care and alternative European herbal treatments. Michael, an advanced chemist, developed and patented their first products, including a fast-drying topcoat and long-wearing, toxin-free natural nail polish, which evolved into Zoya, a vegan nail polish line that offers salon-quality color without toluene, camphor, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin or DBP. The new texture edition is like colorful pixie dust for your nails!
- Ginger + Liz Ginger + Liz is ideal for fashionistas, hipsters and rock glam-driven lifestyles. The on-trend colors have cheeky titles like Put a Ring on It (bright pink), Swagger (metallic foil) and Keep Me Interested (clementine orange). Focusing on safer and healthier cosmetic options, Ginger + Liz vegan nail polish – like all others on this list – are free of harmful chemicals and toxins but are rich and long-lasting. Owners Ginger Johnson and Liz Pickett find inspiration in everything from art to travel.
- Priti NYC Non-toxic and “3 Free” (no toluene, dibutyl pthalate, or formaldehyde),Priti NYC not only develops vegan and eco-friendly nail polish, but also aims to support local, organic farms and help reduce harmful chemicals in manufacturing. Pregnant with her first baby, Kim D’Amato created Priti NYC while on the hunt for green beauty products after switching to an organic diet. The company now carries more than 100 shades but is best known for its romantic and girly hues of pale pinks, fair purples and sweet neutrals.