We’re all about body and skin detoxes, regulating our systems from the inside out; but, when was the last time you paid as much attention to your mane? Nope, it is not the same as an at-home hair spa or deep conditioning treatment. It’s about literally weaning your hair off products, and using cleansing and revitalizing agents to get rid of the stubborn germ build-up while strengthening your strands, roots, shaft and follicles.
Know When To Detox
- As a general rule, once every two weeks / twice a month routine is ideal to re-energize your mane.
- If you rub the ends of your strands between your fingers and they feel coarse, raggedy (almost like plastic), it’s time.
- Color-treated hair benefits from a weekly detox routine; this holds true for tresses that have lost their shine; and for those that have been subjected to the heat of styling tools on a regular.
For a natural detox solution, try this DIY routine, keeping in mind the reps, as prescribed above:
- In a bowl, add 1/2 cup baking soda to 3 cups tepid water. When your hair is thoroughly wet, massage the mixture onto your scalp and then wash thoroughly.
- Stir 1tbsp apple cider vinegar in 1 cup water. Wash through your strands with cold water.
- Finally, for some extra conditioning, apply generous amounts of honey, directly to the hair. Let it rest for a few minutes and then wash.
Make sure to stave off other haircare products (shampoo and conditioner included), for two days before and after you indulge in the detox. Hope you have a hair-raising experience (in a good way, of course).