When life gives you lemons, well, use them to stir up homemade beauty recipes. Sure, we've all used the citrus fruit (yes, fruit) in our home cooking, but there are so many reasons you should consider using them for your skincare DIYs, too.
The cost of a lemon? It's well under $1. The beauty benefits? There are too many to count.
Why It Works
Well, for those who care to know the deets, lemons have high concentrations of:
- Vitamin C (evens out skin tone by treating discoloration and pigmentation)
- Flavonoids (anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory)
- Retinol (boosts collagen production and fights free radicals that would have otherwise aged your skin)
- Antioxidants (repair damage and firm up the skin)
Now, Let's Put Them To Good Use With Some Homemade Skincare Solutions For Your Pretty Face
- Treat Age Spots With Lemons: Melanin is responsible for the color of your skin, but an imbalance can cause discoloration or pigmentation. Try this fix: Cut 1/2 a lemon and rub the fleshy part on the skin in a firm but slow motion. Wash after 10-15 minutes. A weekly application will help induce cell renewal, and work like a bleaching agent.
- Scoop Out Those Blackheads With Lemons: When your hair follicles get blocked by bacteria or dirt, the hormone dihydrotestosterone gets activated. This leads to an overproduction of sebum or oil, which seals the pores and leaves you with unsightly blackheads. Try this fix: In a bowl, mix 1tbsp salt, 1/2tsp lemon juice, and 1tsp water. In circular motions, apply this mixture to the areas that have recurring blackheads. Leave it on for 2-4 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water, followed by a cold water splash to close the pores. Once a month is quite enough for this little resolve.
- Pop That Pimple With Lemons: The age-old way is to use the baking soda and lemon juice mixture, but if you have sensitive skin, it will flare-up and get you all hot and bothered. Instead, try this fail-safe solution: In a bowl, take equal parts lemon juice and rose water. Use a cotton ball to gently saturate the pimples with this solution. Let it rest for 15-30 minutes before you rinse with cold water. While the lemon juice will act as an exfoliator to dig out the dirt, rose water has anti-bacterial properties that will help treat the pimples. The mild concoction can be used when you have a breakout.