Parsley completes a meal with its fresh-peppery flavor and lush-green color. But that’s not all. It works wonders on your skin too! Following are several reasons to add parsley to soups, stews, mashed potato or salads.
Parsley is popularly used not only in American dishes but also in European and Middle Eastern cuisines. Interestingly, you also have parsley root which was used in Middle Eastern dishes, mostly in stews and soups. It can work as a substitute to carrots or turnips, but today we will focus on the curly-green parsley.
What improve the skin are the vitamins and minerals present in parsley. These are the nutrients that play a big role in giving you clear skin:
- Vitamin C: 3.5oz of parsley contains 133 mg of vitamin C
- Vitamin A: 3.5oz of parsley contains 8424 IU of vitamin A
- Vitamin K: 3.5oz of parsley contains 1640 ug of vitamin K
- Calcium: 3.5oz of parsley contains 138 mg of calcium
- Potassium: 3.5oz of parsley contains 554 mg of potassium
- Manganese: 3.5oz of parsley contains 50 mg of manganese
- Phosphorous: 3.5oz of parsley contains 58 mg of phosphorous
Beauty benefits of parsley:
These vitamins and minerals combined together hold the secret to amazing skincare properties and help improve overall health. These are the seven skincare benefits associated with this bitter herb.
1) Wrinkles: Parsley is a rich source of vitamin C that is responsible for the production of natural collagen. As we know, collagen irons out fine lines and wrinkles.
2) Acne: The herb has antibacterial properties that help fight bacteria that cause acne. Parsley can cleanse the skin and detoxify the body too.
3) Reduce pore size: The vitamin C is also beneficial for nourishing the skin and closing pores. The increase in collagen reduces the size of the pores.
4) Scars: Consuming parsley increases the level of natural collagen which removes blemishes like dark spots and scars.
5) Smooth skin: This antioxidant, vitamin C is instrumental in naturally increasing repair and reproduction of the cell. This process helps enhance the skin and reduce skin problems.
6) Tired eyes: Vitamin A and C work together to ease out tired eyes and renew the cell growth to give you sharper-striking eyes.
7) Controls oil: The collagen produced from parsley helps regulate the production of oil on the skin.
How to use parsley:
It is recommended to use fresh parsley for DIY skin treatments for better and quicker results. You can combine fresh parsley with honey, rose oil, Aloe Vera nectar or lemon juice. You can add it to unscented lotion too.
Besides skincare, parsley has other health benefits too that include strengthening immunity and bones, detoxifying the body, regulate blood pressure, reduce inflammation and ease joint pain. This herb looks like a forerunner for the category of superfood.