Out with the old, in with the new. Yes, I’m afraid I’ve begun this article with a cliché but, it's only normal to want to reinvent yourself in the new year. That said, there's definitely more than one way to do it. Losing the extra weight may be a top priority for some, but if you're not likely to stick with that gym membership, there are other (less expensive) ways to start fresh. We're thinking skincare resolutions!
After all, with the beating your skin has taken already this holiday season—all those late nights, indulgent foods, heavier than normal makeup routines, and Christmas and New Year cocktails—it would do you a great deal of good to hit the reset button on your skin, too.
What I quickly learned after talking to my dermatologist is that in order to get off on the right foot, one must first wipe the slate clean (detox, cleanse, reset, if you will). Here's how I plan to do it:
French Clay Mask To Get Those Blackheads & Dead Cells Out Of There
- 1 cup purified water
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 4tbsp French clay (available online)
- 2tsp aloe vera gel
- 1tbsp honey
- 1 egg yolk (optional, for dry skin)
- Boil water, add bay leaves and allow to steep.
- When water is cool, strain and pour into mixing bowl.
- Add clay, mix well, then whisk in aloe vera and honey.
- For dry skin, whisk in egg yolk.
- Apply mixture to clean face, leave it on for about 20 minutes until it feels dry and tight, then rinse off.
Detox Wrap, Because The Body Needs Some Lovin', Too
Ingredients & Tools:
- 1 ripe papaya
- Hand blender
- Plastic sheet/wrap
- Before you begin with the body wrap, make sure the room is warm and comfortable.
- Use a blender to puree the pulp of the fruit.
- Spread the puree over your body evenly.
- Use the plastic sheet to wrap your body.
- Place some old towels and roll yourself in them in such a way that you wrap the towels over the plastic sheets.
- Now, relax completely for 20 minutes before you unwrap yourself. Listen to some soft music, if you wish to.
- Make sure you keep sipping on water throughout, so that your body doesn’t get dehydrated.
- Once you unwrap yourself, take a warm shower.
For The Cracked Heels That I've Been Dragging This Winter
- 1 ripe medium-sized banana
- 1 ripe medium-sized avocado
- Peel the banana and cut it into pieces before mashing it in a bowl.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the pulp. Mash this in a bowl.
- Combine the mashed banana and avocado till you get a smooth, creamy paste.
- Apply this all over your feet but pay special attention to your heels, where you can pack it on.
- After 20 minutes, rinse off the mask with lukewarm water and gently pat dry with a towel.
With all these little homemade hacks, I think I've got it covered, right? Considering it's the fag end of the month and I'm still waiting on my salary, I'd rather use some economic home remedies than splurge on a detox sesh at the salon, but hey, doesn't mean you shouldn't.
For those like me, sharing is caring, ladies. Got any of your own skincare tips? Spread the love in the comments below.