Kate Moss loves black currant oil; Emma Stone, grapeseed oil; Miranda Kerr, olive oil; and Kate Middleton, rosehip oil. Yes, these beauty solutions have taken over Hollywood as the A-listers go back to basics with face and body oils that promote hydration, restore elasticity in the skin, and prove to be better carriers of nutrients than water-based products.
Of the lot, none's quite taken the beauty segment by storm like Argan oil, with celebs like Kim Kardashian-West, Eva Mendes, Katy Perry, Gisele Bundchen, and many more endorsing the elixir.
Recently, Catherine Zeta-Jones sighted argan oil as her secret weapon, too. In an interview with The Telegraph she said, “I’ve been using some argan oil just to saturate my skin at night, so it has some nourishment as I sleep, to start the day a little bit more hydrated.”
On its own, the oil has multiple benefits:
- Argan oil is packed with vitamin E, fatty acids, and nutrients, which is the reason why it is called the liquid gold of beauty solutions.
- It moisturizes, conditions and improves the texture of your hair and skin by repairing damage and increasing new cell production.
- What’s more, the oil also has anti-bacterial properties that fight dandruff and acne.
- Argan oil fights free radicals that affect the moisture levels in the skin and improves the natural production of collagen.
- The antioxidants also protect the skin from UV rays, and reduce redness and swelling.
- As for the fatty acids, they're extremely hydrating and have a plumping effect that gives you an instant non-surgical face-lift on the days your skin looks sallow.
For all these reasons and more, we urge you to experiment with some potent beauty solutions you can make at home, to make the most of your argan oil.
DIY Argan Oil Hair Serum
- 2oz pure, organic argan oil
- 10 drops ylang ylang oil
- 5 drops geranium oil
- 5 drops cedarwood oil (optional)
- Add ylang ylang, geranium and cedarwood oils to a bottle of argan oil. Store in a cool, dry spot.
- Use 1-2 pumps on the ends of dry or wet hair, or as needed.
DIY Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter
- 6tbsp argan oil
- 8tbsp shea butter
- 8-10 drops essential oil (of your choice)
- 1tsp cornstarch
- In a mixing bowl, add the shea butter and whip it. Since it tends to harden quickly, we recommend you melt it down a little before whipping. Make sure the shea butter doesn’t melt completely though.
- Now, add argan oil and the essential oil and blend again.
- Add cornstarch and blend till there are no lumps and the butter is blended evenly. You should get a whipped butter that’s frothy and thick.
- Now, simply transfer the body butter to a sanitized jar for use.
DIY Argan Oil Shampoo
- 1tbsp argan oil
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
- 5-6 drops essential oil (of your choice)
- In a shampoo bottle, add the distilled water and castile soap and shake well.
- Add the argan oil and essential oil and mix the solution well. Make sure the oil and soap have blended into a uniform solution.
- Store in your bathroom and use as needed.
- If you have dry hair, add 2-3 tsp organic honey. This will hydrate your hair, as well as lend it a natural shine.