The sun's up, and your garden’s surely going to reach its full bloom in a couple of days, if it hasn’t already. But with the summer season comes the peril of pesky bugs that infiltrate your garden.
One solution? Keep them away from your beautiful flowers and produce with this organic pesticide spray. It’s safe, chemical-free, and can easily be prepared at home.
- 1 garlic bulb (finely chopped, or ground)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped, or ground)
- 1tsp powdered cayenne pepper
- 1 quart water
- 1tbsp liquid dish soap
- 2 large bowls
- Spray bottle
- In one of the bowls, add the garlic, onion and cayenne pepper powder.
- Add water to this mixture, and steep it for an hour.
- Take the other bowl, and cover its circumference with the cheesecloth.
- Strain the mixture from the first bowl into the second one.
- Pull off the cheesecloth, add liquid dish soap, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the spray bottle.
- Spray it directly on your plants, to keep pests away.
- This spray can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Note: Be cautious while making the spray, as the ingredients can cause irritation if they come in contact with your skin or eyes. Use rubber gloves, and make sure you keep it away from your eyes, nose and skin.
Here's more great gardening tips to help your plants grow, grow, grow:
Get In Touch With Where Your Food Comes From
Gardening As Therapy With Stacey Smith
Green Living QA: How Can I Compost In An Apartment?
WATCH: Z Living's Gardening, Health, & Wellness series
What are your best tips for keeping your garden pest-free? Tell us below!