Essential oils are all the rage right now, but it's their uses aren't limited to just making your home smell like a aromatic perfumery. Pure essential oils have health-promoting and healing properties, too.
And—unlike certain smoky candles—they won't pollute your indoor air.
Click through our slideshow above for our favorite autumn, winter, and holiday oil "recipes" of blends
to make your home smell incredible, and read on to find out the health benefits of each formulation. Then, choose a formula that fits your health needs (and smells great too).
Also on Z Living: Why Essential Oils Can Help With Anxiety
Why Choose Oil Diffusers Over Scented Candles?
A study by South Caroline State University
found that burning paraffin candles creates unwanted chemicals that waft through the air, basically polluting the air in your home and possibly increasing your risk of asthma, respiratory issues, or even cancer. So rather than lighting a scented candle, consider using a essential oil diffuser instead.
Also on Z Living: 8 Must-Haves For Your Natural Home Medicine Cabinet
What's So Great About Essential Oils?
Essential oils have properties that are good for both body and mind, helping boost your mood, promote sleep and relaxation, ward off illness, combat pain, and just plain help you breathe better. Check out our list below, and click through the slideshow above for some fun (and healthy) oil blends that use each one.
Major Essential Oils & Their Health Properties
WATCH on Z Living: Now Eat This!,
- Balsam Fir: Detoxifies and stimulates the immune system.
- Blue Spruce: Evokes peace and serenity.
- Cardamom: Promotes respiratory health and aids in breathing.
- Cinnamon: Helps maintain the immune system and alleviates soreness.
- Clove: Boosts energy and is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Cypress: Is soothing and assists in clear breathing.
- Eucalyptus: A Natural air cleaner that fights colds and respiratory issues.
- Frankincense: Promotes peace and relaxation and boosts immunity.
- Ginger: Boosts immunity.
- Juniper Berry: Combats fatigue and supports the immune system.
- Lavender: Reduces stress, and improves sleep and complexion.
- Nutmeg: Is comforting and soothing, boosts energy.
- Orange: Alleviates anxiety and is energizing.
- Patchouli: Helps balance your emotions.
- Sandalwood: Has uplifting properties.
- Sage: Is cleansing and purifying.
- Vanilla: Is relaxing and mood boosting.
- Vetiver: Is calming.
- White Fir: Energizes the mind and body.
- Wild Orange: Is uplifting and invigorating.
- Wintergreen: Soothes muscles and promotes a healthy respiratory system.
where renowned chef Rocco DiSpirito challenges people to eat healthy by arming them with nutritious recipes and ingredients and giving instruction on proper ways to prepare the meals. See a sneak peek here.
Tell us in the comments: What's your favorite essential oil scent or blend?