Your living room is the most social room in your home, where your family sits together and where you entertain guests. Everything about the living room should encourage positive interactions between family and friends, and should also welcome strangers to your home.
The following tips with help you bring out the best in your living room:
- It is considered lucky to have a fireplace in the living room. But don’t hang a mirror over it: instead hang a painting, a tapestry or a wreath.
- Chairs should be arranged in a loose circle. (Right angles and sharp corners are bad for feng shui.)
- Make sure that the number of seats is even and there is enough space for all the guests to move around the room.
- The most comfortable seat in the living room should be reserved for a guest.
- Fish tanks are believed to bring in good energy. Place one in the north corner of the living room.
Keep disharmony out of your living room by following these guidelines:
- If you have two couches, don’t set them up so that they are directly opposite each other. It’s a confrontational position, and can lead to stress or even arguments.
- If your living room has exposed beams, do not place the couch directly under one. This can put pressure on the family’s main breadwinner.
- Be sure there is no chair that has its back facing the door.
Feng shui doesn’t have to be expensive. Here are some low-cost tips:
- Light up corners, either with electric lights, candles, or ornaments. (Dark empty corners disrupt energy flow.)
- If your living room is small, use a big mirror to make it look larger and brighter. (Be sure to place the mirror so that your face doesn’t get cut off in the reflection when you are sitting or standing. This is considered bad luck.)
- Hang wind chimes for good luck.
- According to feng shui, hanging a happy family photograph or a picture of a large attractive tree on the east wall promotes togetherness. A picture of a waterfall or a lake on the north wall can help improve one’s career.
One Step Further
In order to gain a full understanding of the subtleties of feng shui, we strongly recommend that you do extensive research and consult a trusted expert. The principals of feng shui are based on literally thousands of years of collective wisdom. The more you study, the better you will be able to apply feng shui to your home and to your life.