Aging begins from when a child is born. However, there are other factors that can lead to premature aging, including the usage of incorrect skincare products and gorging on unhealthy foods. One can achieve a perfect skin by including turmeric, ginger and green leafy vegetables in the food intake, says an expert.
Speaking at the Anti-Aging Health and Beauty show, held at the London Olympia this past weekend, Geraldine McCulgan of the College of Naturopathic Medicine said: “What you eat today… you wear tomorrow.”
The beauty therapist shared some helpful tips on natural choices for anti-aging and the small changes that one can effect in one’s lifestyle to help slow down aging.
Accelerating aging is affected by the following:
* Glycation – the process of sugar and it affects joints.
* Lack of nutrients
* Overload of toxins
* Free radical damages
* Loss of ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which regulates cellular energy
* Lack of oil and water.
So if you want to slow down aging, McCulgan recommends following a diet made up of whole grains, vegetables, legumes, mild-sweet and non-sweet fruits. One can also try the following things:
* Avoid refined sugar.
* Eat protein with every meal.
* Swap refined sugar products with wholegrain alternatives.
* Eat plenty of fibre rich vegetables.
* Include cinnamon – lowers blood sugar levels.
* Consult the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) scale – which identifies the antioxidants in foods.
Inflammation is behind many degenerative diseases, so here we have some advice from Geraldine on how to reduce it:
* Eat organic
* Green leafy vegetables
* Fermented foods
* Acid/Alkaline balancing
* Omega 3 fatty acids