- Makes 2 large smoothies or 6+ popsicles — easily made vegan
For the Red:
- 12 fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- splash of orange juice, or other fruit juice, as needed
For the White:
- 1 large banana, peeled and frozen
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk, or as needed (or regular milk, if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
For the Blue:
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt*
- splash of almond or coconut milk, as needed (or regular milk)
*To make these vegan, substitute the yogurt for a bit more dairy-free milk, or a dollop of dairy-free ice cream
- In a blender, puree the strawberries. Add the orange juice slowly, one TBSP at a time, just to get things moving. Poor into a glass and place in the fridge to keep chilled.
- Give the blender a quick rinse, then add the frozen banana, 1/4 cup milk, and the ice. Blend until smooth, drizzling in more milk as needed to get a smooth consistency. Pour into a separate glass and set in the fridge.
- Give the blender another quick rinse, then add the blueberries, yogurt (if using), and a couple TBSP milk. Beginning blending, adding more milk as needed to keep things moving.
- Once you’ve got all your colors you can layer them in glasses and serve, or pour into popsicle molds to freeze. You can start with the red, or start with the blue – I went with red first, but it’s up to you. Pour your first color into your cups or popsicle tray to fill a little less than 1/3rd of the way. Next, slowly and carefully pour (or spoon) the white smoothie over top. The slower you go the more separated your layers will be. Top with your last smoothie, and serve (or freeze).
Courtesy of Willow Arlen, Will Cook For Friends