- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (available at health food and gourmet grocery stores)
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi paste (made from plums, available in Asian and health food grocery stores)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a heavy, nonreactive saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until sauce is slightly thickened and flavors have melded.
- Blend until smooth, if desired. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If too thick, stir in a little water or vegetable broth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Sauce will keep covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.