- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch glass loaf pan.
- Heat oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium flame. Add onion and jalapeño, and sauté about 5 minutes or until soft. Add caraway and cumin and cook for 1 more minute.
- Transfer to large bowl, and add the cooked quinoa, turkey, basil, parsley, chives, tomato paste, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to prepared loaf pan. Bake 1 hour, turn oven off, and let meatloaf rest in oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
For the Quinoa:
- Place 1/2 cup white quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve. Rinse and drain well. In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup water (or any type of preferred stock). Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until all of the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes). The quinoa is done when all the grains have turned from white to transparent and the spiral-like germ of the grain is visible. This portion yields 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa.
Tip: Quinoa can be cooked a day ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to use.