- 16 ounces tempeh
- 1/2 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1/2 cup medium gound cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- canola oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut tempeh into 1 1/2-inch strips and place in a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold tempeh in a single layer.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients and pour over tempeh. Turn tempeh several times to coat. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn tempeh and bake for another 20 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Whisk together cornmeal, thyme and cayenne, then place in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Place soy milk and flour in two more separate shallow containers.
- Dredge tempeh in flour, dip in soy milk, then crust with cornmeal mixture. Set breaded tempeh on a tray until ready to fry.
- Heat enough oil over medium-high heat to generously cover the bottom of a large skillet. Oil is ready for frying when it begins to shimmer and a drop of water splatters. Fry tempeh for 4 to 5 minutes total, tuning often. Remove and drain on paper towels
- Serve hot.