Kick off your 5-day brain boost with a 1-day Kitchari “fast”. Kitchari is an Indian comfort food that Ayurvedic physicians have been prescribing for centuries. Eat enough Kitchari to feel satisfied as many times as you like throughout the day. Kitchari is packed with nutrients, eliminates toxins from the body, restores balance and promotes strength and vitality. Eat only Kitchri on first day of your brain boost, accompanied by tea or water. If you’re a coffee drinker, limit yourself to one cup.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup mung beans (whole, soaked overnight)
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch asafoetida (a spice also called hing—available at Indian groceries)
- 1 cup chopped vegetables, such as zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, or anything you choose (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, coriander, or any other spices you choose (optional)
1. Combine the rice with the mung beans and wash twice.
2. Place rice and beans into boiling water, adding the turmeric and asafoetida.
3. Cook over medium heat until the water is mostly absorbed.
4. Add one more cup of lukewarm water, vegetables, and optional spices if you’re using them. The final dish should be a stew with a very moist and soft consistency.