Q: What Are 10 Essential Herbs And Spices?
A: Herbs and spices can bring a greater depth of flavor and vibrancy to any dish you are cooking. Give them a try!
- Fresh Thyme: a wonderful lemony flavored herb that can be added to vegetable and meat dishes.
- Fresh Rosemary: earthy with a strong flavor – a little bit goes a long way.
- Fresh Sage: great to add when cooking poultry such as chicken or turkey.
- Fresh Flat-Leaf Italian Parsley: a delicious addition or garnish for just about any savory dish.
- Fresh Cilantro: great for fish or chicken as well as guacamoles or even on fresh grilled corn.
- Whole Cumin Seed: tastes wonderful when toasted and then ground and used in spice rubs for meats, roasted vegetables and even guacamole.
- Whole Fennel Seed: tastes wonderful when toasted and then ground and used in spice rubs for meats or to season sautéed vegetables.
- Ground Cinnamon: a sweet addition to any baked goods. Make sure you use fresh cinnamon for maximum flavor, as opposed to old stuff that sometimes lingers around your pantry.
- Red Pepper Flakes: add a little heat to any dish with a few red pepper flakes. A little bit packs quite a punch, so use sparingly.
- Dried Bay Leaf: the “end all be all” to making stocks and soups.