- 3 tablespoons flax seed, ground
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (available in natural foods stores and online)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons coconut toddy with agave (vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon light agave nectar
- Vegetable oil spray
For sauce and toppings:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet Hawaiian onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) jar organic unsweetened tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Amino Acids (available in natural foods stores and online)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 8 ounces low-fat mozzarella
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Whole fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a coffee grinder to blend flax seeds for a few seconds. Spread ground flax on parchment-lined baking sheet large enough for a pizza. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, starches, xanthan gum and salt.
- Using a stand-up mixer with wire attachment, whisk the egg whites until white and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Continue beating while adding 1/4 cup warm water, vinegar and oil.
- In a small bowl, combine hot water, yeast and agave. Let stand until it fizzes. Set aside.
- Change to a paddle attachment on the stand-up mixer. On slow speed, add sifted flour ingredients to egg white mixture. Dough will form small balls the size of peas. Add the yeast mixture and beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Spray oil a spatula and scrape down sides of bowl, forming dough into a ball. With greased spatula, turn dough onto baking sheet covered with flax seed, and flatten dough to desired thickness. Medium thin is best with a gluten-free crust. With oiled fingers, shape edge around the pizza to hold toppings. Cover with spray-oiled plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 45 minutes in a warm place.
- When crust has risen, bake crust topless for 7 minutes in a preheated oven. Remove from oven and top with Sweet Truth pizza sauce, chopped basil and mozzarella.
- Bake another 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
For sauce and toppings:
- Add oil to a large sauté pan over low heat, lightly sauté garlic for a few minutes.
- Add finely chopped onion, sauté until both are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the unsweetened sauce, tomatoes, paste, agave, Braggs and salt. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Measure about 3 or 4 cups of sauce and spread on prepared pizza crust.
- Add fresh basil on top. Cut mozzarella into 1/4-inch slices and place on top of sauce and basil.
- Bake as indicated in directions for pizza, about another 15 minutes.
Garnish with fresh basil. Let pizza cool on wire rack.
Flax Seed: A Wonder Food For Health
6 Healthy Pizza Recipes