- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup lemongrass, finely chopped (white part only)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 2 Thai chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (available in Mexican and health food grocery stores)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (rice wine, available in gourmet and Asian grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch slices. Place on cutting board between 2 to 4 layers of paper towels. Set another cutting board on top and set aside for 30 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds.
- Move tofu to shallow baking dish, pour marinade over tofu. Cover; marinate in refrigerator overnight, or up to 6 days.
- Set up a grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Make sure cooking grate is clean. Lightly oil grate before grilling.
- Remove tofu from marinade and place on hot oiled grill. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, brushing with marinade and turning often.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with sesame seeds.