- 1 (8-ounce) piece sashimi-grade ahi tuna, salmon, or yellowtail
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared wasabi, plus more for serving
- 2 1/4 cups sushi rice
- pickled ginger, for serving
- soy sauce, for serving
- Using a large, very sharp knife, slide the knife through the fish at a slight angle to cut the fish into 2-inch-wide by 1/4-inch slices.
- Place 1 fish slice across the middle joints of your fingers, palm side up. Spread 1/8 teaspoon of wasabi over the center of the fish slice. Moisten your other hand and squeeze about 2 tablespoons rice into a football shape about the same size of the fish slice. Place the shaped rice on the fish.
- Curl your fingers to cup the fish and rice, and at the same time, with two fingers from your other hand, gently press the rice to adhere to the fish. Turn the sushi over and repeat this pressing motion. Using your thumb and middle finger, press the sides of the fish so that they cling to the sides of the rice.
- Set the sushi on a plate, rice side down. Repeat. Serve immediately with the pickled ginger, soy sauce, and more wasabi.
Pickled ginger, soy sauce, wasabi