- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 piece kombu (a sea vegetable; available at health food and Asian grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans vegetarian kidney beans, drained
- 8 ounces hickory or smoked tofu
- 1 (8-ounce) can organic tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (available at health food stores and online)
- 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce (Crystal brand)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa well with cold water. Place in a medium saucepan with water and kombu, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove kombu and fluff quinoa with a fork. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and bell pepper. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Gently stir in quinoa. Cook long enough to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.