- 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetarian margarine, cut into small pieces
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian margarine, melted
- raspberry preserves, for serving
- soy whip, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, cardamom, nutmeg, and nutritional yeast flakes. Cut in margarine pieces until mixture is sandy, with some pea-size pieces.
Whisk together syrup and soy milk in a small bowl. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until dough starts to come together. Stir in currants until just combined.
Sprinkle a little flour onto a flat working surface. Press out dough into a circle, 1/2-inch thick. Cut into eight equal pieces and place on baking sheets, evenly spaced. Brush with melted margarine.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned on the bottom.
Remove and serve warm or at room temperature with raspberry preserves and soy whip.