- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Stir oil and curry powder in a large saucepan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add carrots, celery and onion. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
Lay a paper towel over the surface of the soup to blot away the oil that has risen to the top. Once the soup has cooled, transfer it to a blender and puree in batches. Return the pureed soup to the pan and cook over medium heat. Season it with spices, fresh ginger, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Top each serving with nonfat yogurt (optional) and serve hot.